This is a traditional dish that my family eats around the Easter holidays. During the seven weeks of Lent, my grandma makes this cod for lunch every friday. Even though nowadays, you can cook this cod anytime during the year.
Cooking time approximately 1 hour 15 minutes.
- 1.5 lbs Fresh cod Thaw out if using frozen cod
- 4 to 6 Hard boiled eggs
- 1 Red bell pepper Chopped
- 1 Green bell pepper Chopped
- 1 Large clove garlic Chopped
- 3 Cups Fresh Grated Tomatoes Or 32 Can Whole Tomatoes (highly recommend to use fresh tomatoes)
- 1 Large yellow onion Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1/4 cup Raisins (optional) If you use raisins, soak them in cognac or water for a few hours (or 1hour) to rehydrate.
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 and 1/4 Cups Vegetable Oil
For the Cod:
- Cut the cod into individual size portions.
- Preheat 1 cup of the vegetable oil on medium high heat.
- Place some flour on a plate, and coat the cod fillets with flour. It has to be coated, but not too much flour. Just shake the fish a little to shed the excess flour.
- Place the cod in the hot oil and cook for a few minutes, then flip it. Cook it for a few more minutes.
- Remove from the pan and gently place it on a plate with paper towel to drain the excess oil.
For the sauce:
- In a large non-stick pan, add 1/3 cup vegetable oil and cook the onion and peppers on low heat for 15 to 20 minutes. Once they are almost cooked, add the garlic—cover and cook for 5 to 7 more minutes.
- Then, add the tomato sauce. Season the sauce with 1 and 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- The sauce has to be very saucy, if its not, add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water.
- Place the cod fillets in a single layer. Shake the pan to distribute the sauce or use a spoon to pour the sauce over the cod. This will flavor the cod and also helps to keep it moist. You want the cod to be fully immersed in the sauce.
- Add the raisins if you want to use them.
- Cut the eggs into quarters and place them in the pan. Shake the pan again to distribute the sauce over the cod. The cod should cook on low heat in the sauce for approximately 15 minutes. It’s ok if it cooks longer, make sure you dont overcook the cod.