Wow, I am writing this post and its 70+ degrees outside. Is this weather crazy? It was 40 degrees three days ago and now It feels like summer. Well, I will not complain since I love warm weather.
What I like about this season is the holidays. Oh! One of my favorite times of the year. I usually spend Thanksgiving with my family or I go to New York with my husband’s family, which are also my family 🙂 I always go to Spain for Christmas. This year it will be a little bittersweet for me. No New York and no Spain. Maryland it will be.
To make my holidays a little bit sweeter, I made these orange strips dipped in chocolate. These are a classic in my hometown. My mom absolutely loves these. Every time I go to Spain, she buys them. This recipe is very easy to make and guess what? If you keep them in a cool place they last around 2 weeks! That’s the perfect make-ahead holiday treat!
To make the strips, we have to peel the oranges first. As you know, the rind is pretty bitter, so we want to cook that first. Once the strips are cooked/boiled, we will candy them and finally, we will dip them in chocolate. ooh yummy!
- 10 Cups Water
- 3 Oranges Peeled
- 1/4 Cup Orange Juice
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Dark Chocolate High Quality
Cook the orange strips:
- Cut the orange peel into strips about 1/4 inch thick and 3 to 4 inches long.
- In a small sauce pan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Once the water is boiling, add the orange strips.
- Cook for 1 minute. Drain and rinse.
- Repeat this process 3 more times.
Candy the Orange Strips:
- In the same small sauce pan, bring to a boil the remaining 2 cups of water, orange juice and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Once the sugar is melted, turn the heat down (low) and add the orange strips. Cook for 30 minutes (uncovered).
- After 30 minutes, cover the sauce pan and simmer the mixture for 15 minutes.
- After that, turn the heat off and let the oranges cool (about 45 minutes).
- Once the oranges are at room temperature, put them on a cooling rack. (It will help to remove any excess of water/syrup.).
- Melt the 1/2 cup of chocolate in the microwave. Using a microwave-safe bowl, start with 30 seconds, then heat the chocolate for no more than 15 seconds at a time after that. Stir the chocolate after each 15-second interval to ensure even heating. When the chips are almost melted, stir more thoroughly to help the last few lumps melt without further cooking.
- Dip the strip into the chocolate and place them on parchment paper. Repeat the process.
- Allow the chocolate to set. Serve at room temperature.