Melindros are very popular in Spain, they are similar to a cookie but with a cake-like texture. The tradition is to dip the melindro into hot chocolate. In Spain, the texture of hot chocolate is much thicker, more like a pudding and its spooned, not sipped.
The recipe for these melindros is very easy. By themselves, they’re good, but they are much better when you dip them in hot chocolate.
- 3 Large Egg Yolks Room Temperature
- 3 Large Egg Whites Room Temperature
- 1/3 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 TBSP All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- Coonfectioner Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a bowl, whip the egg whites until stiff.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks and 1/3 cup plus 1 TBPS sugar vigorously until creamy.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the sugar mixture. Stir until it’s incorporated.
- Gently, add the egg whites and fold them until fully incorporated.
- Using a piping bag, pipe the mixture approximately 4 1/2-inches in length on to the baking sheet.
- Dust them with confectioner sugar.
- Bake 7 to 8 minutes, or until just firm on the outside and soft in the center.
- Enjoy with a hot cup of hot chocolate.