Hola! Jump to Recipe
Today I am making a very traditional recipe, egg flan. This flan can be found in virtually every restaurant in Spain.
The flan is so popular that you can buy it in a box at Spanish supermarkets. The only thing you have to do is mix the box mixture with milk and voilà! That is very easy and convenient, but of course, there is nothing like a homemade dessert. We have a lot of varieties of flan; egg, vanilla, coconut, coffee, etc.
This flan is very easy, you can make it in just 10 minutes, then it will be in the oven for about 35 minutes and then you will have to wait until its cold.
As a mold, you can use a large size, or you can use individual ramekins like I did. My ramekins are about a 1/4 cup.
Lets make a flan!
Flan de Huevo (Egg Flan)
For the Caramel:
- 1/2 cup Granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
For the Flan:
- 2 Cups Whole Milk You can use 2% as well
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Small Cinnamon stick
- 1 Lemon Rind
- 4 Medium Eggs room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
For the Caramel:
- In a saucepan, add the sugar and water and cook on medium heat. Once the sugar melts and turns brown, divide the melted sugar between the number of servings that you have (Or you can just use one big mold).
For the flan:
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, bring to boil the milk, sugar, lemon and the cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl whisk the 4 eggs.
- Once the milk mixture starts to boil, remove the lemon and the cinnamon and turn the heat off.
- Add 1/2 cup of the milk mixture to the beaten eggs. Whisk wish wish!! When the eggs are fully incorporated, pour the mixture back to the sauce pan and whisk.
- Strain the mixture into a bowl. (OPTIONAL: Use a hand blender to blend it up).
- Pour the mixture into each ramekin (or into one big mold).
- Fill half of a baking dish with water, add the ramekins and then place in the oven, being careful not to get any water in the flan.
- Cook in the oven for approximately 35 to 40 minutes. The center should be firm, but soft, and not liquid.
- Remove the ramekins from the baking dish.
- Cool in the fridge, for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Serve cold and enjoy! Bon profit!