For today I have something very Catalan. Some of you might think that it’s pizza, but it’s not. Though there are similarities. Its name is Coca de Recapte. It’s make with bread dough, onto which you spread your choice of seasonal vegetables.
Traditionally, Coca de Recapte was made in the Catalan towns at a time when peasants didn’t have their own ovens. They would collect their vegetables from their gardens and they would take it to the town bakery, where bakers would use the vegetables to bake coques (plural of coca).
In Catalonia, the most traditional coca de recapte is made with escalivada (roasted eggplant, red peppers and onions) and then sometimes topped with other ingredients such as, sardines, butifarra (catalan sausage), onion or spinach. Today, you’ll find these coques with almost any ingredient; mushrooms, tuna, olives all, artichokes etc.
The coca can be served cold or hot. (Just like pizza!)
Coca de Recapte (Spanish Style Flatbread)
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Active Dry Yeast
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 and 1/4 Cups Warm Water Around 90F
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- See blog post and/or recipe note below.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook combine the 3 cups of flour and water, salt and yeast. Mix it on medium speed for 7 minutes. While mixing, add the other 2 Tbsp flour.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl (I use olive oil) and cover with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel. Allow to sit for 2 hours at room temperature. Once it has rested and risen, you can place it in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- Punch the dough down. Divide the dough into two. On a lightly floured surface, begin shaping and stretching the dough until it is 1/4 inch thick. (Traditionally we shape the dough long and narrow).
- Repeat with the second piece of dough. Transfer both pieces of dough to a parchment paper or silicone-mat lined baking sheet.
- Poke your fingers all around the surface of the flatbreads and drizzle 1/4 cup olive oil between the two doughs.
- Top each with your favorite toppings. Bake for 25 minutes or until the crust and toppings are browned to your liking. Remove from the oven. Slice and serve warm.
- Stays fresh in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Bon profit!!