Hola!! Jump to Recipe
I usually take advantage of having friends or family at my house. I love it! I feel like I can cook way more. The more friends and family, the more I can cook 🙂
Today’s recipe is another popular (fried!) tapa. Yeah… we have a lot of fried tapas in Spain fried chipirones, fried potatoes for braves and spanish omelletes, huevos cabreados/estrellados (today’s recipe!)… In Spain, the food culture revolves around olive oil. We use it a lot, and we love it. And, it can be very healthy when eaten in moderation. Olive oil has been associated with healthy diets because it contains a lot of heart healthy fats.
For today we have huevos cabreados (angry eggs.) Another name for them is huevos estrellados (crashed eggs.) This is another popular tapa in Spain. Huevos estrellados is the name from the restaurant where they were originally made, Restaurant Casa Lucio in Madrid. This is one of my favorite restaurants, I love it! Even though this is one of their signature dishes, other restaurants do sell it under this name, but it is also very common to see it on other menus as huevos cabreados.
This dish is as easy as french fries topped with fried eggs. On the bottom of the page you can see the video on how to make hues cabreados. I hope this helps.
- 4 Potatoes peeled
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 cups Vegetable or Canola oil
- Salt to taste
- Cut the potatoes into sticks by cutting the potato in 4 or 5 vertical pieces, and then cutting each piece into sticks.
- Heat the oil in a heavy pot to 375 degrees F. In 3 or 4 batches, cook the potatoes until golden and crisp. Remove from the pan and place them onto a paper towel to remove the excess oil. Season with salt.
- For the egg: HEAT 4 tbsp olive oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot.
- BREAK eggs and SLIP into pan, one egg at a time. Reduce heat to low.
- Cook slowly until the egg whites are set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard, 5 to 6 minutes. Remeber you want the yolk to be super runny! DON'T OVERCOOK THE EGG!
- Place the eggs on top of the french fries and then cut up the egg to release the yolk.
- Serve immidietly. Bon profit!