I can’t believe winter is almost here. When it’s cold outside, I love to eat comfort foods such as casserole dishes, stews, soups etc. In Spain, we have a lot of comfort food! One of my favorites stews is Lentil and Chorizo Stew. Even better, this is actually a very easy dish to make.
The main ingredients are lentils and chorizo. Nowadays, you can buy Spanish chorizo almost anywhere. Make sure to buy chorizo from Spain and not the spicy chorizo.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 3 ¾ cups cooked lentil beans (1 ½ cup dry lentils)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 7 ounces chorizo halved lengthwise, then sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 tomatoes (ripe!) grated
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
– Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large Dutch oven or other similar pot over medium-high heat.
– Add the onion and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 4 minutes.
– Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
– Add the tomato, paprika, bay leaf, a teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes on low heat.
– Add the chorizo, stir occasionally for about 5 minutes (it will release some of its oils).
– Add the lentils and the broth. Bring it to boil and then simmer for 15 minutes, or longer.
Make sure to serve it with some fresh bread and a glass of Spanish red wine!