I love these croquettes, and so will you; ham and cheese croquettes. These are the most traditional croquettes in Spain. Every time I make them, the flavor reminds me of a Spanish grilled cheese, made with ham & cheese. They are super yummy, and If you think that you would like them, you will love these.
In my blog, you may have seen my posts for mushroom croquettes and chicken croquettes. In these recipes, I have fried them in vegetable oil, which is the traditional preparation method. For those of you who appreciate tradition, by all means, you can fry them and they will be delicious. But for those of you who might prefer a non-frying method, you’re in luck! I baked them!! And they came out perfect. Yeeha! I wanted to try it because I knew it would be good, and guess what? I was right!
Let’s dig into this quick and easy recipe…
Makes about 20 croquettes.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Rest time: 60-90 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
– 1 small or medium onion
– 1/2 Ib deli ham, sliced thin and cut into 1-square inch pieces (the best quality you can find, or your favorite. Remember it’s the main ingredient of the recipe)
– 3 oz cheddar cheese cut into small pieces (you have substitute a different cheese, just make sure it has a mild flavor)
– 3 Tbsp flour
– 1 Tbsp butter
– 1 cup milk plus 1/4 cup for later
– pinch of nutmeg
– salt and pepper
– olive oil
– 1 egg
– bread crumbs
-1 cup canola oil for frying the croquettes
– Optional: If you would like to serve it with a delicious sauce, try my tomato jam.
1) Grate the onion, and cook it on medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil and a pitch of salt and pepper. Cook until brown. Set it aside.
2) In a medium pan, melt 1 Tbsp butter. Next, add 3 Tbsp of butter and stir. When it is fully mixed, add the onion, 1 cup of milk and a pinch of nutmeg. Whisk constantly until all ingredients are combined.
3) Add the ham and cheese. Stir constantly until it’s fully incorporated. If it looks a little too dry, add a little more milk.
4) Let it rest for 60 to 90 minutes in the refrigerator. It could be less time, It just needs to be cool.
5) Preheat the oven to 370F. After the mixture has rested and cooled, shape it into croquettes. Large tater-tot sized, or 2 bites.
6) Prepare the egg mixture. Whisk one egg. Pour the bread crumbs onto a large plate.
– If you want to go the traditional route, fry them! Follow the chicken or mushroom croquettes recipes
7) Cut a piece of parchment paper long enough to cover the baking sheet. Place the croquettes on the parchment paper and bake them for about 10 minutes. To get them a little more brown, broil them for 2 to 3 minutes. Keep an eye on them while you are broiling them!
8) Serve alone or with your favorite sauce and… eat them!! Bon profit!